Sunday, December 2, 2007

Wiki, Wiki, Wiki (just like saying it)

I'm having a delayed reaction because I attended Karen's Wiki Workshop weeks ago but wanted to reflect on a few things. First, the workshop was great. It was informative, clearly presented, easy to follow and overall an enjoyable experience. Because I was a novice, I was happy that I was following along in the workshop rather smoothly and I remember showing off the Wiki I had created to my friend Farryl at the end. I had created a Book Club where friends of mine could make suggestions on a book to read and we could use the Wiki to correspond about the chosen book. I remember thinking "this will be great". We always talked about creating a book club and this will be cool! So I sent out the invitations and people joined as members so I was psyched. Then I waited and would check periodically for added comments, book suggestions, anything. Nothing happened. I kind of forgot about it, but was just perusing my Delicious bookmarks and saw the link to my Wikispace. There was still nothing :(. So, I'm not sure where I went wrong. Maybe my friends are novice to the whole Wiki thing too and were scared off. Maybe I wasn't assertive enough in my Wiki follow-up. I'm definitely not giving up on Wikis and I hope Wikis don't give up on me!

3 comments:

Christine Southard said...

If you build it they will come. Have patience. E-mail them the Lee Lefever wiki video as they may need a visual to better understand what a wiki is and how it works. Please also go the management page of your wiki and sign up for page changes alerts. This way you won't have to waste time returning to the site to check on the wiki as you'll be alerted via e-mail when anyone attempts to edit the site.

Karen Kliegman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Kliegman said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the wiki workshop. I think your book club wiki idea is a good one. people are busy this time of year, maybe just send them an email to remind them about the wiki- maybe add a book suggestion to start...unless you already did!